Chickpea Hazelnut Roast
4 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 cups (about 1/2 lb.) hazelnuts (filberts)
1 TBS. untoasted sesame oil
2 TBS fresh organic lemon juice
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
2 TBS soy sauce
Food processor or mortar and pestle for grinding nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Dry roast the hazelnuts. Heat a large cast iron or stainless steel frying pan over low-med. heat. Put the hazelnuts in the pan and dry roast, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. They should give off a nutty aroma and start turning slightly brown. If they are turning dark brown or smell burnt at all, remove from the heat immediately. Dry roasting nuts intensifies their flavor but they should not smell or taste burnt.
3. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
4. Grind the nuts coarsely in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle and set aside.
5. Mash the chickpeas and set aside.
6. Put a large frying pan on the stove over low heat. Add 1 TBS sesame oil and let it heat up for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the onion and a pinch of salt to the frying pan. Sautee the onion over low heat, for about 5 minutes.
8. Add the carrot and celery and cook for about 10 more minutes.
9. Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
10. Press into loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned on top.